AHEC Career Enhancement Scholars Program
Missouri AHEC initiated the ACES Program in 2001. MAHEC centers provide high school students with year-round programming for students interested in primary care medicine, nursing, dentistry, and other health careers. The ACES Program provides students with structured career exploration and health career-skill building activities. Program components also include college readiness, career planning, academic/health career prep workshops, structured job shadowing, and health leadership projects.
This program accepts students from diverse backgrounds, offering particular encouragement to students:
- Who display a strong interest in pursuing a career in primary care
- Who are from medically underserved rural and urban population groups
- Who are first generation college students
- Who are from socio-economically disadvantaged families
- To address the shortage of primary healthcare providers in underserved areas of Missouri
- To give students a competitive edge in attaining primary healthcare career goals
- To build relationships between students and communities
- To nurture the students’ career interests through educational experiences
Application Requirements: This program is for high school (ACES) and undergraduate (ACES+) students who display strong interests in pursuing careers in primary healthcare. Students who are interested must have a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) and submit a completed application that includes:
1. Two letters of recommendation from school counselor or faculty member.
2. An essay that explains the student’s personal interest in a primary care profession and what they hope to gain through ACES.
3. A copy of school transcripts through the previous quarter of the application date.
Program Topics: ACES is a two year program which requires 30 hours of participation over the course of the two years. Students are expected to attend workshops on the following topics:
- Public Health
- Infection Control
- Cultural Competency
- Health Literacy
- Vital Signs/CPR
- Healthcare Ethics
- Job Shadow Etiquette