Missouri AHEC Pipeline
Building Pathways into Health Careers
NEMO AHEC helps to build pathways into health careers for students of all ages. We then connect professionals to the rural and underserved communities that need them. The end result is a healthier community for all.
Connecting Students to Careers Professionals to Communities Communities to Better Health |
Student programs are called pipeline programs. Pipeline programs are designed to support students who may face challenges in applying to or entering health professions training programs due to race, ethnicity, income, or other disadvantages.
Medical Exploration in Science and Anatomy (MESA) Dissections are a great opportunity for students to get one-on-one time with a specimen and anatomy fellows from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. These events are open to 9-12th graders.
Here is how they go:
- Pre-test and lab safety are discussed.
- Presentation begins covering the system to be explored (e.g. cardiovascular, gastrointestinal (GI), urinary, etc.)
- A led dissection begins, pointing out all the vital structures of the system.
- Once all vital structures have been found, exploratory dissection begins.
- Post-test is completed.
- Clean-up and evaluations.